What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus. The virus is highly contagious and can spread quickly from person to person, and may cause respiratory infections, ranging from mild to severe illness, but for most people, COVID-19 is experienced as a mild disease. Practicing good hygiene and physical distancing can lessen or prevent infection.
COVID-19 can spread from person to person through:
- close contact with a person who has COVID-19 (including in the 48 hours before the person shows symptoms);
- contact with droplets from a person who has COVID-19 e.g. through sneezing or coughing;
- touching objects or surfaces (e.g. door handles or tables) that have droplets from a person who has COVID-19 and then touching the face or mouth.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms of COVID-19 can range from mild illness to severe. Symptoms of COVID-19 include, but are not limited to,
- respiratory symptoms (e.g. shortness of breath or difficulty breathing);
- sore throat;
- running nose;
- diarrhoea; and
- loss of smell or taste.
SASC recommends that any person displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or respiratory illness, including mild symptoms, should follow the NSW Government recommendation and promptly get tested at a COVID-19 testing clinic (and self-isolate until you get your results).
If you are a person deemed to be at risk of serious infection from COVID-19, SASC recommends that you take additional care of your health and welfare by following the Australian Government Department of Health Advice for people at risk of coronavirus (COVID-19) and regularly monitor your health. Contact your General Practitioner or the National Coronavirus hotline (1800 020 080) if you have any concerns. Click here for further information about this paragraph.
CONTACT TRACING AND COVID-19 POSITIVE RESULTS
Contact tracing: With the health authorities now requiring contact tracing information to be in an electronic format for ease of transfer, the SASC requires two separate contact tracing registrations to be undertaken by all skippers and members:
- Competing skippers to register all their crew names on TopYacht before each race – (refer section below)
- Sign-in each day upon entering the Club by scanning the QR code on their mobile phone or use the SASC iPad located in the Club (refer At the Clubhouse section below)
Covid-19 positive result: If you are aware of a positive Covid-19 with whom you have been in contact (including your crew) you must notify SASC and NSW Health Department, without delay.